Saturday, September 10, 2005

From the Northwoods to you

I'm up in northern Wisconsin at my dad's lake house. The house and view is just beautiful and since my dad renovated it a few years back, it has all of the amenities. I'm up here for my grandparent's 80th birthday. Both sides of my family have good genes for health. My grandpa on my mom's side died just shy of his 90th birthday, and my other grandparent's will probably live to their mid-80's. This is pretty good considering that none of them try to be healthy. They just do as they please, and it seems to work for them.

My parents turned 56 this year, and you probably wouldn't guess it. My dad is balding (thank goodness I take after my mom's side in the hair department), and my mom is wrinkling faster than average due to tanning. Other than that, they are in good shape for their age. Between the two of them they are on one medication, and that's only hormones for my mom so she doesn't get hot flashes. I used to think this was the norm until I worked in a pharmacy and found out that most people in their 50's are on 2 or more medications. Now, I'm amazed at how well my family ages compared to most people.

I almost didn't come up here this weekend because I'm so irritated with my dad. I'd still like to give him a piece of my mind, but all that would do is to get both of us mad and even more entrenched in our positions. It just isn't worth it. My grandparents were trying to get dad to tone down the party today a bit, but dad wouldn't hear of it. He even said to my grandparents that "you don't pass a decade just every year, so we're having a big party for you." I guess he didn't notice that I turned 30 last week. Dammit, Dammit, Dammit.

I'm the only one of any of the grandkids who showed this weekend, too. Not fun for me in a way, because I have nobody to really talk to. I get along with my grandparents wonderfully, but my dad and uncles are taking up their time so I'm just sitting here listening to stories. And drinking a bit. Go figure.

I'll get a few pictures of the house and lake to post next week when I get back. This morning I sat down at the dock by myself enjoying the view and listening to the loons. Not my dad and step mom, but the bird. They have a very unique call and it was peaceful being out there with them as my background music. It's peaceful times that I like best. My dad is a type A personality and he has to be doing something constantly. Going for rides on the pontoon boat, or golfing, chopping wood, et cetera. I like doing things like that at times, but I could also sit in the house and listen to the loons, squirrels, and the breeze through the trees and have a great time. The winter is even better when I can just curl up with a book by the fire and watch the snow fall. It would be nice to have a like minded soul to share it with, tho.

2 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Blonde said...

Big parties for really old people is a bad idea. They don't want to be reminded of how old they are and how they are going to be dead soon. I had a party for an old aunt this weekend, same shit as yours.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Erik said...

The party was the highlight of my weekend, believe it or not. We had a decent amount of fun, pigged out on good food, and drank a lot. Good times all around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home