Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Sisters, Travel, and Bears.. Oh My!

Since I mentioned it a while ago, I thought I'd show off my bear. My bear is on my left arm near the shoulder. If you think that my skin has any color aside from the ink, just know that I took the picture as the sun was setting, so there was an orangy glow in the room. I'm starting to understand how my camera works, so expect more pictures from my life in the future.

I'm currently writing this as my sister watches some inane reality show. It's quite distracting, so I'm doing my best to ignore it. I don't even know what the name of the show is, but it really doesn't matter much since so many of them are nearly identical. There really isn't much to watch on regular TV these days. There are a few things to catch on cable or satellite depending on which you have. I don't have either of them since I am on the road so often. I can't justify getting something that I wouldn't use much even if I was home, and that sometimes is less than a third of the time in a month. Even if there's a Packers game on that isn't on network TV, I'll just go to a bar with it on.

Yes, you did read above that I live with my sister. It's a good deal for the both of us. When we moved into this apartment, she was escaping a boyfriend that was no good. I needed someone that wouldn't trash or steal my stuff. It works out pretty well since she doesn't see me during the week frequently, and she generally spends the weekends at her new boyfriend's house. The only problem I have is that since she could theoretically come home at any time, I can't walk around my own home naked. I can deal with that sacrifice for the moment. It's allowing me to save up to put a substantial down payment on a house. Although things are up in the air if I want to purchase a home yet. I'm still toying with the idea of going back to college again to get a PharmD. More on that another day.

If you read yesterday's post, I mentioned the possibility of driving to North Dakota. It's official now, I will be driving to Minot and back which is about 18 hours each way. I could've taken a flight, but ticket prices there is $850 plus I would have to rent a car. My boss like to reduce costs if possible, and I am a little frugal by nature. By driving, I'll have to pay for gas, food, and an extra night in a hotel, but that shouldn't come to more than $300 total even with the gas price hike. I'll leave Sunday the 21st and will get back on Thursday evening.

It should be an interesting trip, since I've never driven west of the Twin Cities on I-94. Anything out that way that should be seen? Let me know.

BTW- I'm assembling a list of interesting and/or insightful quotes. Feel free to send me favorite quotes of yours.

3 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove to Georgia once from CT to visit my cousin in the army. I hit NJ and realized I had made a terrible terrible mistake driving. 18 hours driving was possibly the worse thing I've ever chosen to do.

And then 3 days later I had to drive home. Needless to say I wasn't a very pleasant person after I came back.

Btw, I just noticed my link. Thanks! I will link you next time I post.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Blonde said...

I fly regardless of what the cost is. All that time driving is wasted time, and boring if alone.

My sister moved in with me when she was 19 and I had to sell my house to get rid of her. It was 13 months of hell.

Buying a house gives you a significant tax break. Real estate is also still the best financial investment you can make. Take out student loans or get your employer to pay for your continuing education.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Liv- I don't mind driving great distances, but I don't like driving for more than 12 hours in a stretch most of the time. I did drive almost 30 hours straight once coming back from LA, though. I was one cranky bastard after that one. Also, I only link to the sites that I actually read, but thanks for adding me as well.

Blonde- I'm not big fan of flying, since I have a fear of heights. However, I mostly will be driving to make my boss happy, rather than to avoid flying. I've already flown to Minot before, but the tickets were under $400 last time.

Lucky for me, my sister and I get along fairly well and we try not to intrude on each other's lives. We're both pretty open minded people too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home