Friday, August 05, 2005

Thoughts of the past

I sat down a while ago to check my work e-mail, and I noticed the date.
August 5, 2005.
I turn 30 in exactly a month. I am not grasping it very well. I still feel like I am 16 inside. I don't think I ever grew up all of the way. I suppose some of the signs are there. Clerks used to say, "Have a good day", but now most of them add "sir" to it. My mom is wondering when I'll meet a nice gal to settle down with. If she knew what I was really looking for, she would go into guilt trip mode saying things like "I didn't raise you to be like that."

At the heart of things, I feel isolated from people just like I did back in high school. I've never quite fit in where I am. I have a few friends, but I don't feel like I can count on them. I know why I feel that way, but I still can't get over it.

After I graduated from high school and screwed up in college, I couldn't get my feet under me. Real life and I didn't get along well. So I continued to do my best to self destruct. Eventually, people got tired of it. I was kicked out of my parents home to stay with friends, who kicked me out as well. I jumped at any chance to survive at this point. I ended up in Tulsa with less than fifty bucks to my name, a backpack with all of my possessions in it, and nowhere to go. My 22nd birthday was right in the middle of my two weeks of being homeless.

I couldn't get a job even at a fast food restaraunt because I had no address. As my cash dwindled, I started thinking of how easy it would be to give up. The horrors I was seeing on the street made me want to dive from an overpass, but something kept me from doing it. Finally, I was down to my last five bucks and decided that I was going to write a few goodbye emails, have a full meal, and let go. I had hit rock bottom and was utterly alone. Suicide was not meant to be, however. When I checked my email, I found one from the people who ran the local BBS. I had met someone who had offered to help me out on that BBS and that's why I was in Tulsa. They found out that this guy abandoned me to my fate for fun from his girlfriend, now ex-girlfriend.

After taking me to their house so I could take my first shower in a week, they introduced me to a friend of theirs. She was new to Tulsa, and was nervous about living alone. She also was a manager of a call center and got me a job there. I was living at the mercy of others, and even though I found myself in the company of good people, I knew from experience how quickly people could change. I had changed. In some ways it was good, as I did need a good kick in the ass to get me going in the right direction.

This is not a tale I tell my family and friends. I don't want them to feel guilty for my experience or the problems that came from it. I have managed to trust people again, but I expect to be disappointed by them. I look at the worst case scenario and the negative aspects of life most of the time in order to be prepared. I also indulge my hedonistic side more than I should because I know what it's like to have no pleasures at all. Above all, I hate to be ignored. I have been nothing to the world at large, and never want it to happen again. I'd rather be rejected and spurned in the most public, hurtful manner than to just be ignored.

Maybe this blog is another way to connect with people. To be seen and to have my existance proven. I don't know right now. All I know is that I'm feeling very introspective right now, so I'll be heading over to Lake Michigan to watch the waves come in while my mind races through those dark streets in my mind.

To everyone who takes the time to read this; Thank you.
To anyone I may have touched or helped in any way; I am honored.
To those who comment or e-mail me; I wish you could see my smile.

/end bigsappypost
Now returning to the usual Erik.

6 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger Keldrick said...

WOW! Your story is a lot like mine. Granted, I won't be turning 30 for another 4 years, I was kicked out, have 'friends' like yours and often wonder WTF am I doing. If you don't mind I'm going to link you so I can read more of your stuff. KEEP IT COMING!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Blonde said...

It is nice to see you open up and be honest. It is like diving into a pool...you hit the bottom before you rise to the top for air. I am glad that you swam back to the top :).

Since you are turning 30, it is time to leave mom's opinion out of your decision making.

My birthday is in a few weeks, but I am a wee bit passed 30. ugh.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone.

Keldrick- Go ahead and add a link, I may link yours as well. I don't mind if anyone links to me one bit.

And don't worry, I plan to keep on writing for as long as I have opinions and the ability to type them in. I am fairly sure that will be quite a long time.

Blonde- I'm always open and honest, because you can't enjoy all life has to offer while hiding yourself from the world. I don't think I've made it to the surface yet, but I'm fighting like a demon to get up there.

*chuckles* No, Mom has no say in my decision making. I just leave out certain details of my life when talking with her. I'm sure you know the feeling. And if nobody has offered yet, I'd be happy to come deliver those birthday spankings. ;)

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That touched me. Mind you, on a lighter note, wait until you reach 41, like me! By that ripe old age, though, I hope you will have found that special someone and lots more besides. Take care - Kay

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Zeezy4Sheezy said...

Well I don't feel so bad about myself anymore.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Kay- I have no problem with my age, or any age. The thing that throws me off is that I don't feel any older than I did 15 years ago. I suppose I was always mature for my age, so maybe I matured early, and have reached a plateau.

Isn't it odd how society tells us what we should be? A 30 year old man should be well into a marriage, has been working in his career for years, and has a kid or two running around.

I doubt that I'll be getting married anytime soon if ever. I've bounced between career and college for many years. And thank goodness (and the wonderful people at Trojan) I don't have any kids.

Zeezy- Glad to help, I think. If nothing else, the past gives us perspective. Not just our past, but the past of everyone. Food for thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home