Tuesday, July 18, 2006

That's hot.

Full of the afterglow from my trip to Missouri, I drove back to Wisconsin on Friday night. Even with traffic and construction, I made it on just over 9 hours. When I drive, I don't need to stop often. Maybe only every 3 or 4 hours. I'm not much for dawdling on the road. I like to get where I'm going.

Anyway, I had a game of airsoft (it's kinda like paintball) planned for Saturday, so had to get ready for it as soon as I got home. I charged all my batteries, checked all my gear over, and loaded the car back up. I was looking forward to the game since it looked like a nice day for it. At least that's what I thought when I saw a quick radar map.

Now, I'm a pretty smart guy. I knew I had to take a lot of water with me on to the field because we play all day with no breaks. It was going to be warm, I was going to be wearing full set of BDU's, and I was going to be lugging around 40 pounds of gear. Actually, I was lugging around more than that, because of all the extra water and Gatorade I had with me. Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon approximately, so I was probably carrying 50-60 pounds at the beginning of the day.

I was guessing the temperature was going to be in the mid 80's on Saturday. The temperature was in the mid to upper 90's that day. I played a full game that day despite all of the heat. I stayed in the shade as much as I could and drank all of the fluids I brought throughout the day. The game went really well, too. I had a blast in the blast furnace.

Afterwards, I got back to my car and turned on the AC. I had to leave it on full blast on me for 5 minutes before I drove away just to cool down my body so I wasn't punch drunk due to the heat. When I got home, I barely climbed up the stairs from the underground parking. I could barely move at that point. I didn't even bring up most of my gear. I just didn't have the energy. It's still in my car right now.

I'm still feeling beat from this weekend. I thought I'd be able to hit the gym today, and right now, I don't know if it would be a good idea to go. I'm not sure if I could make it 15 mins much less the hour or more I usually go for. So, I think I'll be passing on the gym to rest in the AC for one more day. Tomorrow, I train again. First will be the gym training, after that will be the bar training. Sounds like a good training schedule to me...

3 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger cosmopolgirl said...

I can't believe you didn't pass out. It's been in the 90's here for the past week and I've barely been able to move!! STAY COOL!!!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Stay cool and hydrated and next time you are in the sun, if you begin to feel dizzy or experience a headache get in the shade right away. Even with proper hydration, during this time of year it doesn't take very long to suffer from heat exhaustion.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Erik said...

I didn't get the dizziness, headache, or exhaustion until the end of the day when it all hit at once. I've been hiding in my air conditioning ever since.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home