Friday, August 12, 2005

Friday post, Part 2: Return on the fashion impaired

I freely admit that I don't know much about keeping up my appearance. I tend to wear what's comfortable, easy to care for, and easy to find. I'm basically a t-shirt and jeans guy. For work, I wear dockers and a button up shirt. I still wear tighty-whiteys because I grew up wearing them, and I'm used to them. I had a girlfriend a while back who got me to start wearing a few name brand clothes. She got me hooked on Tommy Hilfiger jeans, which I like because they have a lot of room in the legs. I have pretty wide, muscular legs, so most jeans are tight on my thighs, but not those Tommy jeans.

I also don't know much about beauty products and the like. I know the basics like shampoo, soap, and conditioner. I keep a bottle of moisturizing lotion around for when my skin is really dry, and a bottle of oil for massages. I use deodorant and Drakkar Noir to smell good. Past that, I'm lost.

Now that I have the means to improve my wardrobe and appearance, I want to try out a few things. The problem is, that I have no clue how to go about it. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to send in advice. I'm looking for casual and work clothes that are fashionable, but not anything that's going to be passe next week. Advice on products to try for my hair and skin would be great. What good colognes and aftershaves are out there?

I'm very curious what will pop up in the comments and my mailbox. Don't hold back, let's hear it all.

3 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger Blonde said...

First things first, LOSE the Drakkar. Since you are low maintenance I won't send you on an expensive spree. I will direct you in a reasonably priced direction.
*Any Calvin Klein fragrance is hot and reasonable (avoid Obesession or One because they are played out, though). If you want to spend a little more I recommend Aqua Di Gio, Tiffany Sport (this makes me wetter then the Atlantic Ocean and @$60 a bottle)
*I highly recommend Diesel, Lucky or Abercrombie and Fitch jeans. They fit well built men better. Tommy Hilfiger is hot and reasonable and acceptable too. You can never lose with Tommy or Ralph Lauren anything.
*I recommend Paul Mitchell hair products. They work well and don't leave any funky odors. Bed Head products are good too, but have a fruity smell to them.
*Casual work clothes, you can't lose with Tommy or Ralph Lauren again.

*Kiehl's makes great, skin care products and they are reasonable.

Shoot me an email anytime. I am always dating men I refer to as "fixer uppers" and I am good at it. I make them fantastic for the next girl that dates them.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Keldrick said...

I agree with Ralph Lauren, I don't buy Hillfiger clothes for personal reasons so I can't comment on how they fit. Ralph makes it really easy to shop. I usually pick out what is already on display, then get other matching stuff that is also for sale.
As for what to smell like, that's a good one. Just go to the mall and pick out stuff YOU like. For me it's Farenhiet (sp?), Eternity, and Polo (again, ya can't go wrong with Ralph!)
Also, are you going for a certain look or do you just want to update your wardrobe? I'm like you in that I will toss on some jeans and a t-shirt and ride out. BUT I have certain jeans that go with certain shirts. Then THOSE combinations go with certain shoes, and some match everything...
It's all on you playboy.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm glad you two had some nice suggestions on the cologne. I can't take heavy doses without getting a headache, so I try to avoid fragrance departments/stores. If I head to the counter, sample a couple and see what I like, I should be fine. That's how I started using Drakkar, I found that it was an ok scent to me, bought it quick, and ran.

Kel- I'm just going for a wardrobe update. I want to look better when I go out rather than just head out in jeans and whatever t-shirt that is clean and makes me laugh.

Blonde- Expect email in the near future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home