Monday, September 26, 2005

Football: The good and the bad

I love football as much as the next guy, and it's bad when I can only watch it in small doses. The Packers game was so painful that I watched for a while, then had to get up and do something else because it was that awful. I've been a Packers fan all my life, so I know this isn't as bad as the Packers of the 80's, but it is starting to head that way. The only comfort I have is that the people at the regional office can't say anything since they are all Vikings fans.

I'm in a football pool and my points have been going all over the place. Week one I did ok, not many points, but better than most. Week two I took a huge hit. That Monday night game killed me in the standings. This week, I'm back up in the standings. I hit every game but three, unless I miss on this week's Monday night game. This brings me to a painful admission.

I bet against the Packers this week.

Yes, they were playing a home game at Lambeau Field. Yes, the oddsmakers had them up 3 points over the Bucs. I still bet against them. My gut told me to and it was right. I got the points for the game in the pool. It feels like a very hollow victory, tho.

3 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger StB said...

At least you could get in your pool. I couldn't even log into the Blonde's pool on Maxim.

The Pack has looked pathetic at times. Yet I was confident they would win yesterday. Carolina could be ugly.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Blonde said...

I am getting slaughtered in my own pool.

This time of year, I live and breathe football.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Liv- I've always done better in pools if I go on instinct rather than looking at stats and odds. In fact, I do better at a lot of things when I don't think about it. Also, Murphy's Law likes to kick us in the ass from time to time.

StB- If I hadn't been able to log in for week 2, I'd be in better shape. As for the Pack, this whole season is going to be ugly. I'm cringing at the idea of watching football Monday night already.

Blonde- You're back up in the top third now with a perfect week this week. You're even right above me on the scorecard. Good thing I don't mind a gal being on top of me. *grins*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home