Saturday, October 08, 2005

HNT: Corporate Am-erik-a


I was amazed at how much stuff I've had to pack into my schedule the last two days. I left the past two days before 8AM and both evenings I've gotten home after 10PM. I need my back rubbed like there's no tomorrow.

Since Thursday I was away and quite busy, I decided to show you all the corporate me. Admittedly, I like wearing blue shirts better than the red/maroon one I'm wearing here but this is the one I put on this morning fumbling around in the dark. I obviously wasn't planning on having my picture taken with it, but with this picture the inspiration hit to blog.

I've always been a bit against the status quo and enjoyed my unusual and somewhat rebellious nature. My hair used to be a quarter of the way down my back for a while (although not a mullet) and at another point it was a bit shorter and a bright blue. I got my tongue pierced back in '95 and that was well before it was cool to have a tongue ring and before I found out how useful it could be in certain situations. *laughs*

Overall, I like having a different take on the world. It's insightful to be on the outside looking in. The only problem I have is that it's lonely being the odd man out. I suppose you can't have it all, tho.

This corporate version of me is still amusing for me to see looking back at me in the mirror. I'm a practical guy by nature and I saw the advantages of conforming a little to fit in the workplace. My eccentricities are usually ignored when they come out now since I'm a damn good employee. What can I say, I was raised with a good work ethic.

Anyway, chopping off my hair and wearing nice shirts and Dockers were the price I had to pay for $20k a year more pay and a company car on top of that. I can't say now that I'm unhappy with that trade. I have a lot more freedom to travel and do whatever I please as well. Besides, that mischevious, naughty boy still lurks behind these blue eyes of mine. ;)

2 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Blonde said...

Corporate you doesn't wear a tie?

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Erik said...

Luckily we don't have to wear ties on business, because I always feel like I am putting on a noose. I'd wear it if I have to, but thank goodness I don't. I do own a couple just in case, tho.

Fun fact- The origin of ties were for use as napkins for men.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home