Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Organized chaos

Yesterday, I was at a seminar all day on organization in the workplace. It was interesting, but the unusual nature of my job made a lot of the advice useless. We spent at least a half an hour talking about clearing off your desk and how it will help you get more work done and will make you more promotible. I don't have a desk and my boss never sees how I work from home, which is a good thing since if I'm at home, I'm usually wandering around the house in pj's or sweats. My job is to travel to other parts of the country, so organizing my office is a laugh. Fun stuff.

I wish my corporate office would organize a bit. They send me training materials when I request them which I need to help train people. Last week Monday, I sent in an order that needed to be here today. They shipped it Friday. According to tracking, it's supposed to arrive today. I was supposed to leave for Des Moines this morning. Instead, I'm waiting for a package which is disrupting my day horribly. I can't load up my car or even take a shower because if I do, I won't be able to hear my doorbell. I hate having to adjust my schedule because of someone elses incompetence.

Furthering my mood is the fact that I'm going to Des Moines to train a problem customer that I have major issues with. The owner of this places seems like a nice guy on the outset, but he will lie his ass off if it could get him something. Almost a year ago, this guy did that to me. I was fairly new and admittedly I made a mistake. The mistake had nothing to do with the training I provided. I forgot to have him sign off on the training, which is our proof that we covered everything. Since there was no sign off sheet, he lied as much as he could trying to get free training. My hold on my job was tenuous at best for a while after this. Luckily for me, people started realizing this guy was full of shit and with other customers emailing my boss telling them what a great job I was doing, my reputation got much better.

As much as I hate to go there, I just wish I could get on the road right now. I have 6 hours of driving ahead of me, and putting it off is just going to keep me on the road after dark orworse, in the middle of rush hour somewhere. I'll just have to make sure I'm as ready as I can be so I can hit the road as soon as I can after that darn package arrives. So I wait...

1 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Erik said...

I was lucky. It arrived about 15 minutes after I made the post.

I'm not that impatient normally, but when I had gone out of my way to make sure it was sent early...

Yeah, there's no way I'm going to be patient then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home