Sunday, November 20, 2005

Bah Humbug, Pt. 2

I couldn't have asked for a better set up. Without knowing, Jo opened the gates to my next pet peeves. Outdoor lights and decorations.

First of all, we have the fools who clutter their yard, patio, roof and any other possible surface with crap. These are not the people who put up a tasteful manger scene, or maybe even a small version of Santa and his sleigh. We are talking about the people who have 8 floodlights going to highlight all the crap. They have a manger scene, Santa, plastic gingerbread men, nutcrackers, an everything else that remotely Christmasy. I've driven by one house this year that is already set in this way. There had to have been at least 100 cheap plastic candy canes all over this lawn and house. I say we gather 100 people together, each pick up one candy cane, and beat him with it.

On a side note here, I love the new Capital One commercial. I crack up every time I see the one pillager shooting plastic reindeer with a crossbow. The look on his face is priceless. I think they may be on to something here...

Now lets talk about lights. Unlike the crap people put in their yard, I like Christmas lights when they're done tastefully. Tastefully being the operative word here. If you have one string of lights over your porch and that's it, don't bother. It just doesn't look good. Quantity is not a determining factor here, tho. If your neighborhood browns out when you turn on your light display, you need to limit yourself a bit.

I'm glad that I no longer live on a street where people need to try to outdo each other on the amount of lights draped across their homes. I used to live on one, and I had to keep the blinds closed at all hours thanks to those idiots. More is not better here. Plus it irritated the crap out of me when the same people would bitch about energy costs two months later. If you want to keep it down, try not putting up enough lights to run a small city, you asshat.

Tomorrow- Christmas rants III, the final chapter. Commentary welcome as always...

2 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger cosmopolgirl said...

I completely understand the x-mas rants! i was just complaining about it. I'm telling you if hear "It's a holly jolly christmas" one more time...........

Decorations are another pet peave of mine. Attention everyone...white lights..nice...damm flashing color lights ..tacky!!

Finally...BLOW-UP Santa and his reindeers (or any other blow-up stuff for your front lawn) is a NO-NO!!!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Erik said...

My blow-up Santa is strictly for personal use only!

*looks around guiltily*

You didn't hear that! Stop looking at me like that! *laughs* Just kidding, of course ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home