Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bodyguard Duty

My sister is entered in a radio station contest, and the drawing is tonight. You have to be present to win and the prize is quite nice, but her boyfriend is out of town. She asked me to come along with her, but didn't really say why. I suppose she didn't have to, really. Even though Milwaukee isn't a dangerous place, there aren't too many gals who like to be out by themselves. So, I get to be a bodyguard tonight.

I don't see myself as someone who could be a reassuring presence against danger. I still have a hard time realizing I'm not the kid back in high school who was 5'8" and weighed 120lbs soaking wet. I now have mass and a good deal of presence. I've been known to sit down at a bar and get people to move down because I'm taking up more room than most people and they want more space.

I do have that alpha male mentality. Not in an aggressive way I think, but in an "I make my own choices and rules" sort of way. I have stared down people trying to cause trouble, and stay cool doing it. I'm usually at my best when there's a crisis happenning for some reason. Maybe it's because I usually think too much, but in crisis mode I can bring everything I have to bear on whatever needs to be taken care of. I'm not quite good at being a leader all of the time, but when things are FUBARed I step up, take control, and get it done.

Back to what's going on tonight, there are three good things that could happen tonight. One is my sister would win, and that means I would have an apartment to myself by February. Another is that I could get entered to win (which comes with a few nice prizes itself) and possibly could win the big prize which would give me lots o' treats AND and apartment to myself by February. There's an even smaller chance that I might meet up with a gal and get a number or get laid. Even if none of the above happens, I still could have a good time. If nothing else, the drinks are on her tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home