Saturday, November 26, 2005

Winter warning-land

I've lived in Wisconsin for most of my life. Nobody has had to tell me to avoid lake and pond ice at the beginning of winter. I just know it isn't a good idea to get on a lake that hasn't been frozen over for a few weeks minimum. Today I read here that just like every winter, some people have forgotten the rules again. I feel bad for the kids who just wanted to scate on the ice, but the dad should've known better. Instead, they are the first this year to fall through and die on the ice.

These people bug the hell outta me, tho. They are the reason my toaster came with a warning stating "Do not use in shower." Well, duh! Or the warning that comes on Windex that says, "Do not spray in eyes." The sad thing, is that I can almost hear the frightening thought pattern that leads to the Windex warning.

"Hmmm, my contacts are sure blurry today. I need to soak them in the cleaning stuff, but I forgot to buy some at WalMart. I know, this Windex stuff cleans my windows really good and fast. I bet it will work on my contacts so I can watch this NASCAR race." *spray spray* "Why do my eyes feel like they're burning?" *screams for 911*

So, instead of letting natural selection do it's job, we make everything safer with larger warning labels. You can't find a decent beach these days that doesn't have signs every 50 or 100 feet warning you about sun, riptides, sharks, or not to swim after a meal. I'm sorry, but that's what my mom was for when I was 5. I don't need this constant visual reminder of the stupid people out there.

So, soon every lake and pond will have signs on it saying "Stay off lake even when it's iced over. You are no longer allowed to have fun since some of you are too stupid, and we don't want the liability."

Time to kill the lawyers, and let evolution take it's path. We need to chlorinate the gene pool. People need life lessons here, not warnings and fear in their lives.

Who's with me?

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger cosmopolgirl said...

There is a comedian, Bill Engvall, who does a hole skit about warning labels. It's a riot!!
People are idiots! My favorite has always been the person who order the HOT coffee from McDonalds (or somes such place) and then sued because her clumsy self spilled it all over herself and was burned. Now all the damm labels, say CAUTION HOT COFFEE...WILL BURN! Well, duh-huh, if I wanted cold coffee I'd order it over ice!!

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Erik said...

Yep, heard that one. I also like the one with the woman who ends up in the emergency room with hyperglycemia. They test her and find she's diabetic. To show her the correct method to inject herself with insulin, they use an orange to show how to get the needle under all the layers of skin and into the muscle.

A week later she's back in the emergency room with the same thing. The doctor remembers her and asks if she had been drawing enough insulin or if she had been remembering to even give herself the insulin. She claims that she's been taking the correct amount at the correct times. The doctor is shocked and starts to write up to have her put through a lot of tests to figure out what went wrong. While he does, the patient asks, "Can I use apples instead of oranges? Oranges give me heartburn."

Yep, she had the right dose at the right time, but was injecting the orange with it, then eating the orange. Scary shit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home