Monday, January 16, 2006

Temptations of indulgence divides and conquers my mind

I've been slacking in just about every part of my life for the past week. I've worked my ass off and once I've done that, I have no energy or motivation to do anything else. In hotel rooms, I've been doing a little internet browsing, reading then responding to the rare e-mail, and then watched TV with little or no enthusiasm. Once I got back home, I've played a game online, cleaned house, and did my laundry with the same lack of interest. I've been letting the preparation for what comes after I leave my job slide. I feel disconnected from my life and I don't feel the need to plug myself back in.

Obviously I haven't kept up with posting here and now you know why. Not sure if this will make sense to any of you, but I thought I'd try to explain. Maybe my little boost the other week was just a small reprieve from my exhaustion, and it's caught back up with me. I need a more regular "fix", wouldn't you say?

Anyway, I have a story for you from a few years back. It's MLK day, and a few years ago, I was working with a black guy who was probably the coolest temp I've ever worked with. Al was a very friendly guy who was open minded, smart, and had an odd sense of humor. We got along from day one. On MLK day, there was an announcement over a PA system reminding us that it was MLK day and that we should all observe a moment to think about what great things were accomplished in civil rights. We were all in a group when the announcement started and after they finished, Al said out of nowhere, "Martin Luther who?" Most people looked around not sure what to say, and frightened to say anything at all. I held a straight face along with Al until we got back to where we worked where we laughed our asses off.

Questions from left field: Am I too focused on sex for someone who lately is only getting laid every year or so? What do I write do you come here to read? And what's your opinion of me for better or worse? Just curious.

Bonus points for anyone who knows where the title of this post comes from.

4 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Blonde said...

Get nookie practically everyday and I am obsessed with it. Doesn't matter either way.

I come here because you are interesting and I like the way you write.

From what I have read from posts, comments and email exchange, I find you to be a very kind and sweet man who likes nookie, narcotics and napping ;).

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started reading your stuff because it made me feel better knowing I wasn't the only guy not getting any.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Blonde- I'm less interested in narcotics than it seems. I just know a lot about them due to my work experience. (k)nowledge is the other N that's important to me.

DJW- There are legions of guys not getting any. Veritable hordes of us.

To both of you, thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate the input back from people. :)

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger cosmopolgirl said...

come read because you're funny....but seriously does it matter. Write for you ...who cares what people think!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home